Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breastfeeding

Last week we went to Baby-friendly hospital to supervise the practices and promotion of breastfeeding in hospital. Of course, we did see many mothers BF their new born babies. But what we get, or personally for me, I just gained technical knowledge on BF. I know mothers were BF but it did not impose what strong good impression for me to motivate my mind to accept and practice BF by myself in the future.

It sad to be said or it is well known that Chinese in this country is the least ethnic that like to BF their children. Many had this kind of experiences; I guest, just as in my family. None of my siblings including me get breast milk from my mum. It was the leader of the family, my father that refused to let us BF by my mum. Also, I didn’t see family support for BF because my grandmother also didn’t ask my mum BF her grandchild. So, I don’t have the strong feeling that “BF IS A MUST” just as what had written in Al-Quran. 

However, things changed since yesterday. We went to Clinic Jinjang to do supervision task again. I witnessed one Chinese young mother BF her 2nd baby. Wow! So rare to see Chinese BF without force by staff nurse and on demand to her baby! I admired the mother, same race as me, young and productive. (=p) She looked motherly and easy when she BF. Looked charm and unique. My friend interviewed her; she said she faced no difficulties to BF both of her children. Oh? I wondering.. I heard from my mum, BF is painful and not easy. How come that mother can handle it so successfully? But, I believed in her, I can read through her face, no pain but enjoying giving her milk to her baby. I love that scene! Which totally bring me confident and hope that BF is not so hard to practice. 

I had to admit, when Sister Fadilah spoke to me, “Chinese is the most stubborn mother who hard to pick up BF practice even after few hard approaches”, my heart felt one kind. Ya.. even myself as nutrition student and bugging with all the information on BF in my mind, still, I think I hard to make a move. 

It’s not easy to just say BF. Many things will come to mind after hearing “BF” this word.

I know what you think of it. Me too.. I know why hard for Chinese to make a move, to say surely and confidently that they will BF in the future. I know what you care, because so do I. 

However, friends! 
When you or your wife, your sisters, your cousins, your friends is planning for a pregnancy, tell them and let them know that BF is not horrible, yet, it can be beautiful and meaningful memories for both parents and their baby.

Remember, breast milk is the best food for infant!

And for me, I will make up mind to convince myself and future mothers to practice BF. Really, I think I can do it. I really think so… 

No comments: